This release fixes a couple of bugs. We recommend to update.
If SmartGit 18.2 does not start on your Linux while SmartGit 18.1 worked fine, the reason might be that 18.1 used GTK2 and 18.2 uses GTK3. Use following instructions to let SmartGit 18.2 use GTK2, too:
- if the directory ~/.local/share/smartgit exists, please delete it
- copy lib/org.eclipse.swt.gtk.linux.x86_64.jar from the SmartGit 18.1 installation to 18.2
- in bin/smartgit.sh remove the leading # from the line
- configure SmartGit to update the installation for new builds (Preferences, page SmartGit Updates, option Update SmartGit application in-place)
- ensure, that the installation is up-to-date (About dialog, page Information, click the button right beside the Version input field if enabled)
The tasks 2 and 3 you will need to do after each SmartGit update.
We are delighted to announce the official release of SmartGit 18.2. First, we want to thank all users who have tested the preview versions and provided valuable feedback. Without you, the progress would not have been possible!
We have taken the SmartGit user feedback at smartgit.userecho.com seriously and implemented some of the most requested features. We integrated Working Tree features to the Log by making the Log window a full alternative to the Working Tree window, added an enhanced Git-Lab integration with support for merge-requests and comments, added the major Git-LFS commands and improved a lot of existing features. Check out What’s New for a more detailed list of improvements in version 18.2.
SmartGit is a graphical front-end for the distributed version control systems Git which also can be used to work with Subversion repositories. SmartGit runs on 64-bit systems of Windows, macOS and Linux.
SmartGit can be used free of charge for non-commercial purposes (e.g. by OpenSource developers, students, teachers or certain welfare institutions). For commercial use or if support is needed, you can purchase commercial licenses. The commercial licenses include up to 3 years of e-mail support and up to life-long free updates. For early adopters, we are offering up to 40% early adopter discount until Dec 14th 2018. Details can be found when launching SmartGit or by our Twitter, Facebook and Google+ channels.
Note: if you already have an existing installation of SmartGit and your license supports free upgrades, you will be upgraded automatically during the next couple of days.