This SmartGit preview version comes with further Log improvements and a couple of bug fixes.
SmartGit 18.1 by default requires a 64-bit Windows (and ships with a 64-bit Java and Git), but it can be run on 32-bit Windows, too:
- download and unpack the Portable Bundle
- if you don’t already have a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.8 installed, download it from it from Oracle and install it
- if you don’t already have a latest Git installed, download it from git-scm.com and either install the setup or unpack the portable bundle
- then launch <smartgit-install-dir>\bin\smartgit32.exe (smartgit.exe is now 64-bit!)
- if the wrong JRE is used, you can set the environment variable SMARTGIT_JAVA_HOME to point to the one SmartGit should use
- select the Git you have installed or unpacked
Note: in the long run, SmartGit will stop supporting 32-bit Windows, because Java and SWT will stop supporting it.
We are delighted to announce the official release of SmartGit 18.1. First, we want to thank all users who have tested the preview versions and provided valuable feedback. Without you, the progress would not have been possible!
We have taken the SmartGit user feedback at smartgit.userecho.com seriously and implemented some of the most requested features. We made the Log graph easier to understand by using color-coded branches, reworked the compare to produce better diffs, implemented a visual bisect, and worktree commands and improved a lot of existing features. Check out What’s New for a more detailed list of improvements in version 18.1.
SmartGit is a graphical front-end for the distributed version control systems Git which also can be used to work with Subversion repositories. SmartGit runs on Windows, macOS and Linux.
SmartGit can be used free of charge for non-commercial purposes (e.g. by OpenSource developers, students or certain wellfare institutions). For commercial use or if support is needed, you can purchase commercial licenses. The commercial licenses include up to 3 years of e-mail support and up to life-long free updates. For early adopters, we are offering up to 40% early adopter discount until April 24th 2018. Details can be found when launching SmartGit or by our Twitter, Facebook and Google+ channels.
Note: if you already have an existing installation of SmartGit and your license supports free upgrades, you will be upgraded automatically during the next couple of days.